Friday, September 4, 2015

In the year 1972, a bassist I became

As a Bassist in the USM or Universiti Sains Malaysia ( University of Science Malaysia) in Pulau Pinang in 1972. I am third from right .
Singing " Loving Her wa Easier" at BDA Anuual Dinner, 28 May,1987.
The accompanying band was called "Cakerawala" from Sibu.

In the year 1972, a bassist I became.  I was a young man full of life, hopes and aspirations.  To be a bassist in the university's pop band was something beyond belief.  It was by coincidence that the band was just formed and the band's leader by the name of Zainal was my coursemate.  He invited me to be the bassist which I agreed to even though my preference was to be a rhytmist.  Those days the band used to perform in the student's lounges and  open concerts in the unviersity compounds.  Needless to say my stage act has brought me many admirers and fans.  I still can recall many instances when years later the girls who graduated from the university  fondly recalled my version of "Rain" which I sang solo at the Chancellory open concert.  That song captivated many of them and really fell in love with the song the way I sang it and played it on the classical guitar.  My love of guitar and singing continued even after campus life.
 In 1975, I taught a few of the Form 4 and Form 5 boys of the BGSS (Bintulu Government Secondary School) to play guitar and sing for the main purpose of forming the first school band. To excite them further I rented a full set of electric guitars and drums from a local band called "The Rainbow".  The students were elated and very enthusisistic for the experience of playing the electric guitars, a novetly then.  Such was my interest in developing the students in their creative pursuits that many of them in their adult life fondly recalled the songs I taught them and the experience of playing in a pop band conveniently abbreviated as  "Kugiran" to mean in Malay ' kumpulan gitar rancak'.  In 1987,  I relished tremendously the magic moment on stage when I  sang the song " Loving Her was Easier" to a packed audience at the BDA Annual Dinner.  The VVIP at the dinner was the Chief Minster of Sarawak, Taib bin Mahmud.  There are many creative pursuits that form my personality but guitars and singing will always be in the top list of my favourites pastime.

Happy Malaysia Day, Sarawak.



Form 4 and Form 5 boys of the BGSS on the school stage with electric guitars - a novelty then - 1975.


(Note: This is the 3rd of my post on what it is meant to be a Malaysian as part of my writing contribution to Malaysia Day which will  to be celebrated on the 16th of September.)












No comments:

Post a Comment