Monday, September 15, 2014

Once there was a diary

Collection of my diaries, management diaires and  journal books since 1964 in my study

1967 diary made of hardboard paper
and cotton strings
 One life-long habit of mine is to keep a diary.  Sometimes the diaries are complemented by notes, travelogue and journal books, photographs and news cuttings.  I keep diaries to help me remember events and happenings impinging on my life.  Jottings in a diary help me practice self-talk.  The aim is to be truthful to myself in facing the negative talk in life and to counter them with positive self-talk.  In this digital era my diary writing is further supplemented in blog posts that take into account my daily experiences further enhanced by digital images.  In many ways blogging exposes you to the outside world so there is a fine line between private and public consumption in your life's jottings.  Tomorrow, 16th September,  Malaysians will celebrate "Malaysia Day", the day the nation was born 51 years ago.   Below is a glimpse of what happened on "Malaysia Day" in 1967 with a stark difference.  In 1967 Malaysia Day was celebrated on 31 August.  But that is now history as the date has been changed to its proper date i.e. 16th September. Thanks to historians the truth finally wins the day.

Happy Malaysia Day, Sarawak!!!

     
 (Note: On the 16th of September, Sarawak will celebrate its independence being a party to the formation of Malaysia.  As part of remembering history I'll create some posts on what  it means to be a Malaysian as I have experienced it.  Check out the rest of the postings by following this link here.)

A glimpse of my life's happenings on Malaysia Day in 1967 while a Form Four Student at Tanjong Lobang School,  Miri.


A decorated arch to welcome Malaysia Day in the 1960's.

No comments:

Post a Comment