Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Once there was a guitar


2012
As a young kid I always admired young adults playing the guitar.  I could never own a guitar myself because I was too poor to buy one.  Fortunately, I had a school mate willing to allow me to strum and sing Beatles songs on his guitar.  Gradually I learned some basic finger works from him.  As a young adult in 1972, I used part of my scholarship money to buy my first ever guitar while studying at Universiti Sains Malaysia in Penang.  I joined the university's pop band as a bassist.  From then onwards, there was no stopping me playing the guitar.


Me on the guitar and voice recording "Rain" - 2012
 The year 2012 was kind of memorable for me because in that year I decided to do cover versions of songs to be shared on You Tube.  I thought why not render the songs with guitar sound and voicing only, clean and pure.  Plus a little bit of your own interpretation and style thrown in.   Playing the guitar has a cathartic effect on me.  It makes me happy, at ease with myself and keeps me tuned to my true north.  Furthermore, I really wanted to do the video making  myself especially its story board and photography.  So here's three songs for the sharing....please click on the links below :-

The song "Rain"

The song " Windmills of your mind"

The song " Camellia III"

Enjoy music while it lasts.

Happy Malaysia Day, Sarawak!!

 (Note:  On the 16th of September, Sarawak will celebrate its independence being a party to the formation of Malaysia.  As part of remembering history I'll create some posts on what  it means to be a Malaysian as I have experienced it.  Check out the rest of the postings by following this link here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment